Monday, August 31, 2009

Our boy and the little girl next door

I've posted about Sarge's people who live on the one side of us. On the other side lives a family who have no cats or dogs but rabbits and birds. They also have a little girl who is obsessed with Gonzo. I think she really, really wants a pet that she can cuddle and train and hug and will follow her around...rabbits and/or birds aren't cutting it for her. But her parents have said that they don't want an animal that poops in a litter box or the backyard. Hmm? The birds poop in their cage and the rabbits poop in their hutches...how is that at all different? All animals poop. Everybody poops. Meanwhile, Chrissy* plays in her backyard quietly, usually by herself, and I am a little sad for her.
Last night, Gonzo went out to do his thing, and she spotted our boy. Chrissy* ran to the fence and then it started. The pitiful pleas of "Gonzo, Gonzo, Gonzo, c'mere, Gonzo, Gonzo, Gonzo, Gonzo, good boy, c'mere....ah, c'mon Gonzo!" lasted for a full 5 minutes while I finished the dishes. (Did I mention that Gonzo just tolerates kids? He'd rather play with grown-ups.) I went out and brought Gonzo over to the fence where she could pet him and love him (and name him George.) But that's not enough.

That kid should have her own dog that she could love as much as we love our boy. Yes, it's a commitment, yes, it's work, but the joys of dog companionship far outweigh the duties. I may be a little biased here, because I do have the best dog ever (no offense, Penny.) Get the kid a dog, people! (steps off soapbox, straightens clothes, and smooths hair) Ahem.
*not her real name. It didn't seem right to post her name, not that there's weirdoes on the internet or anything.

Good Boy, Gonzo. You know she loves you, so go to the fence for her, hmm ? Just once, on your own?

More to come, so come back if you're interested.

1 comment:

  1. Penny would like me to tell you that she is not offended, her monkey (that would be my husband, I am merely "other monkey")tells her she is his favorite all the time.
    Poor kid though, I totally know what it's like, I grew up with a mother who was afraid of dogs. She's getting better about it, but she still rebuffs my offer to pay for her and my dad to visit.

    ReplyDelete